Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sage Handbook of Organization Studies

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill McKelvey
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:27 AM
To: O&E Journal
Subject: Re: 2nd edition of the Sage Handbook of Organization Studies.

Hi Eric,
I didn't realize you were in contact with Allison Pinto.

Thanks for the PDF files. I will use the one with integrated Tables.

I like the quote you have from Margaret Mead. Do you have a source and page number?

I don't know whether you have gotten to the "scalability" part of complexity science. I have attached a 2002 chapter by Murray Gell-Mann (not very well scanned) and a sort of "interpretive" note I have created. "Scalability" is about "tiny initiating events" that scale up into positive or negative extremes. Scalability usually results in fractal structures which have Pareto distributions and are best indicated by power law distributions (I have attached a recent paper about power laws and how they could affect organization/management research. I refer to this as the "3rd phase" of complexity science. This part is not really included in the Handbook chapter.
Bill

O&E Journal wrote:
> Dr. McKelvey,
>
> Thank you very much for sending this out. Attached you will find the
> original PDF exactly as you sent the DOC file. And a second PDF where
> I put the tables back into the DOC. I do this more for my own use,
> and figured you might want this too.
>
> I understand Dr. Pinto from FMHI has tried to reach you.
> She was able to get Dr. Snowden to visit, Dr. Weick was scheduled to
> as well but missed it due to illness. And we might get Dr. Lissack
> who is scheduled for an event at UT just south of us ... FYI...
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
> Eric R. Weaver
> College of Business, University of South Florida
> Department of Management, BSN 3215
> 4202 East Fowler Avenue Tampa, Florida 33620
> Telephone: 813-974-1757 Fax: 813-974-1734
> ________________________________________
> Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the
> world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
>
> --Margaret Mead--
Attachments Files:
Gell_Mann__2002___What_is_Complexity.pdf
McKelvey__06__Note_on_GELL_MANN__02__What_is_Complexity_chapter.doc
Andriani__McKelvey_08___JIBS_article.pdf